As explained in Ayurveda, kidney ailments fall under the category of mutraghata, mutra vaha sroto dushti, mutrakrcchra, prameha and ashmari. There are numerous kidney diseases and most chronic among them is CKD- Chronic kidney disease. Is there Ayurvedic treatment for kidney failure? Here we’ll discuss about Ayurvedic treatment for chronic kidney disease.
What do we mean by chronic kidney disease and what role does Ayurveda play in this regard?
Chronic kidney disease, also known as chronic kidney failure, is a condition in which kidneys fail to effectively filter waste products from the blood. Role of kidneys in the body is to filter wastes and excess liquid from the blood which is then excreted in the urine. As chronic kidney disease attains an advanced level, dangerous levels of liquid, wastes and electrolytes starts building up in the body. Chronic kidney failure may be irreversible and progressive.
Causes behind chronic kidney disease:
- Autoimmune diseases like HIV
- High blood pressure and Uncontrolled diabetes
- Kidney injury
- Genetic diseases, namely, polycystic kidney disease
- Extended consumption of some medicines
- Extended obstruction of urinary tract owing to conditions, kidney stones and enlarged prostate
- Vesicoureteral reflux, a condition which causes urine to back up into kidneys
- Pyelonephritis, a condition which causes recurrent kidney infection
Factors responsible for increasing the risk of chronic kidney disease:
- High blood pressure
- Heart disease
- Family history of kidney disease
- High cholesterol
In Ayurveda, Sarvatobhadra Vati is a pure and herbal medicine that is specifically used in kidney failure.
Sarvatobhadra Vati has proved to be beneficial in following diseases:
- Nephrotic syndrome
- Polycystic kidney disease
- End Stage Renal Disease
- Nephromegaly (Enlargement of kidneys)
- Nephrogenic diabetes insipidus
- Nephritis (inflammation of kidneys)
- Glomerulonephritis (inflammation of the glomeruli)
- Interstitial nephritis or tubulo-interstitial nephritis
- Urinary tract infections along with ayurvedic Alkalizer