Indigestion occurs when the acid in the stomach returns back to the oesophagus. This condition arises when the sphincter or valve, present at the top of the stomach doesn’t work well. The medical terminology for this state is called Gastroesophageal reflux disease disease (GERD). Indigestion may also occur when the stomach is inflamed or irritated. Though indigestion is common after meal, but it can occur no matter what time of the day it is.
Symptoms of indigestion
With indigestion, one may have the following symptoms:
- Loss of appetite
- Pain, fullness or discomfort in the chest or upper part of the abdomen
- Belching, burping or flatulence
- Feeling sick
Depending on the indigestion cause, symptoms may vary; they may come and go or even last for a long time.
- Frequent and unexplained symptoms of indigestion
- Unexplained weight loss
- Blood in the vomit, even if it's only few dots of blood.
- Severe pain in the stomach
Causes of indigestion
Stomach acid helps in digesting food and provides protection against infection. Mucous layer lines the bowel, esophagus and stomach that act as a barrier against the acid. If mucous layer gets damaged, the stomach acid may irritate the underlying tissues. Or, in another case, if the valve at the top of the stomach doesn’t work properly, stomach acid may rupture the esophagus, that in turn leads to indigestion.
Some of the following causes can cause symptoms of indigestion:
- Excessive amount of alcohol consumption
- Anxiety and stress
- Medicines, like, anti-inflammatory medicines and aspirin
- Certain foods and drinks can relax the sphincter at the join between the stomach and esophagus and may arise the symptoms of indigestion
- Being obese or overweight may enhance the pressure on the stomach and contribute to indigestion.
Benefits of Sukhvirechana Vati
- Used in Verechana (Purgation) therapy which is meant to cure Pitta imbalance.
- Helps keep the Pitta and Vata doshas in balanced condition.
- Aids in proper motion without much efforts, thereby preventing problems, like, Fistula, Piles and Fissures.
- Maintains and enhances body metabolism
- Apt in chronic constipation as well
- Makes the body healthy and fit